Thursday, November 7, 2013

Fatty Patty - My story


This is me. Age 14-15 (7th grade), at 5’5 and 165 pounds. I was living life and truly enjoying myself, spending my time devouring books as well as meals in between my literary adventures.

Don’t get me wrong though, it’s not like I wasn’t exercising. I was playing soccer when the grass was green and hockey when there was snow on the ground. I saw that I was staying active, and most importantly I LIKED how I was living, especially how I was eating and living for all intents and purposes “comfortably”.

The only thing was that no matter what I did, I could never seem to get many of my peers to like me. There were other issues that were becoming apparent as well. I wasn’t able to keep up with my peers in athletics anymore. I would become winded well before anyone else, and I was one of the only kids who had a pot-belly and saggy pecs that shook when I ran (that feeling of my body shaking was one of the main reasons I didn’t ever like to run at that age, besides the fact that it felt like pure torture because it always left me gasping for air).

However it wasn’t until the verbal abuse began to happen, that I really started feeling terrible about what I had become. In gym class I was always picked last, but I will never forget the time that the two team captains literally fought over not having me on my team because they didn’t want the “fat kid” to cause them to lose. I ended up leaving, sparing them the torment of having the “fat kid” on their team.
 
The thing was, that I was strong-willed and could shrug most things off pretty easily. You can only take so many “Fatty Patty’s, Fat Pat’s, Fatrick’s, and Patty-bo-batty – fe-fi-fo-FATTY! – Patty’s” before you can’t take any more.

Such abuse inspired me to pick up my first weights  in that year of 7th grade. I didn’t go out and buy these weights; no I didn’t want people to laugh at me for trying to change. I found that weight (a single ten pound dumbbell) in my parents basement and I hid it in my room. The first exercise I ever did – bicep curls. Push-ups were too difficult so I gave up on those quickly, and those were the only two things I even knew about, because it is all I had ever seen people on TV do at the time. I did as many as I could each night before bed, and I quickly hid them under my bed so that no one would ever know. By the end of that week I had lost 1 pound. Inspired by my own success I began to add crunches to the mix, and one fateful day in the beginning off spring, I went for my first run, which was pure and absolute HELL.

Everything began to change at this point. I started losing weight; more people began to talk to me and best of all the Fatty Patty nonsense had stopped. So from that day forward, I have gone on and never looked back. Some people say I’m crazy with my workouts now, but I LOVE how I look, and I LOVE how it makes me feel and I never want to go back to those feelings of how I was. I have more energy to do the things I love, and I believe that the “Fit Pat” is and will continue to be infinitely more successful than Fat Pat ever would have been.

People aren’t as open and expressive now that we’re older than they were when we were children. They won’t necessarily taunt you, or outright tell you that you’re fat and that they don’t like you because of it. However I’m one to believe that this outright repulsion individuals have for people that are overweight doesn’t go away, that the contempt is still there, hidden behind a mask of sincerity.

Studies show that people make instant opinions about others within the first few seconds of meeting them, and then even more so after the first three minutes of just talking to you. Just ask any corporate interviewer. My point is that just because people don’t like to talk about it, doesn’t mean that they don’t have an opinion about it. I mean just think about when we were all kids and remember back to that pudgy child who was always picked last in gym class, and was teased about their weight during lunches and outside of the pool. Feelings like that only get suppressed in one’s mind; I don’t think that they ever really go away.

My advice is to ask someone that you trust and care about if they feel that you are overweight if you are questioning it. I asked my mom at that time in my life. She told me that I was just a “healthy weight” and that I was just “stocky for my age”, or in the words of a close friend at the time “pleasantly plump”. A friend won’t want to hurt your feelings, but as we’ve all learned over time it becomes easy to read between the lines in order to get to what they truly mean. Then you’ll know, and maybe then you can take that first step to change.

Start with one thing that’s manageable, and see if it works. Stay consistent with it, and as you watch your success grow, experiment with adding new things. In the words of a great man that I know, you have to choose, to take a chance, in order to make the change that you wish to see in yourself. 

I promise that once you start, and once you see that change, you will start moving forward, and you will NEVER look back. Yes there will be setbacks. At times you just will want to give up.

However I’ve found that at the end of the day, you are just as tired if you put in that extra work, than if you didn’t. Think about it. When you sit in that comfy leather chair at the end of the day and watch the news, or your shows, or even if you’re reading your favorite book how do you feel? I feel about the same every single day at the time. It doesn’t matter if I worked out for 3 hours earlier that day, or 1 hour, or even NO hours at all. So what is your excuse for NOT trying it, and NOT giving it everything that you have?

Look at your life. Think about it. If you decide that you do need to make a change then think about that ONE thing you’re going to do to start to change it and then simple do it. Stay consistent, and realize that results are slow. I was ecstatic when I consistently was down 1 pound after an entire week! Be REALISTIC with your goals, and realize that the “fit you” is going to take a lot of time to work towards, because it’s not like the “fat you” just popped up overnight either. It took a lot of time and work/lack-there-of to get to where you are now. So realize that it’s going to take just as long to get to where you want to go.

Health and Wellness is a LIFESTYLE and more importantly a CHALLENGE, EVERY SINGLE DAY! So rise to this challenge, and change your life. Once you adopt this mindset towards yourself for improving yourself EVERY SINGLE DAY of your life, then you are going to find that it will carry over into EVERYTHING else that you do. You will be successful, because you take everything as a challenge of which you know you can surmount over time. It might not be today, or tomorrow, but you know that you can do it, and that you will surmount any obstacle that life may throw your way.

So in the words of Barney Stinson from How I met your mother, challenge accepted?

~PV

*Side note I only grew up to about 5'9" and those 3-4 extra inches came slowly, not all at once. I didn't get saved by the miraculous growth-spurt, I chose to*

No comments:

Post a Comment