Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Example Resolution

Hello all,

       My name is Patrick Vaughan and I am one of the authors here at Natural Nutrition. My New Years Resolution begins today. I've had a goal for the past few years to be able to run a 1/2 iron man for this coming summer of 2014 [which is a very large goal for myself, since I was always conditioned as a sprinter through the sports of soccer, hockey, and track]. For proof you can see some of my old times in this link under the 100m, 200m, and 400m races [http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/SchoolRecords.aspx?SchoolID=9689]. They aren't anything special, but they show that these were my races back in the day. Meaning that a long endurance race, is a large change for me, and therefore it will be a challenge.

        However this has been a long goal in progress. Since I have arrived at MSU, I have been training to achieve this. In this time, I have ran a sprint triathlon, and two intermediate/olympic level ones with decent overall placings/times, considering I used a mountain bike for two of the three.

        As a subset of achieving this goal, I believe that I will need to get significantly stronger in order to endure all portions of this event. For that reason, in order to achieve my ultimate goal, I am challenging myself to put on ten pounds of pure muscle within the next 5 months.

What I am going to do to achieve this:

  1. I am going to start lifting weights continuously on top of my swim/bike/run conditioning.
  2. I am going to continue my current lifestyle of intermittent fasting; where I go 16-20 hours without eating, and 5-6 hours of eating [2 meal periods]. I am allowed to hydrate 24/7.
  3. I will no longer consume junk food, with the exception of one small desert on Sunday nights.
  4. I will painfully cease to watch television.
You can view a copy of my basic workout schedule here.....


Foreseeable obstacles:

  1. I will be working two jobs; One in an Orthopedics Biomechanics Laboratory at MSU, and one as a Personal Training Intern at the State of Fitness. [Time constraint].
  2. I will be taking 15 credits as a Mechanical Engineering major at Michigan State University [Time Constraint].
  3. I will be updating my progress, and encouraging you all on with your own Resolutions in this blog. [Time constraint]
  4. Natural Fatigue and exhaustion from working and working out.
  5. Extra project assignments from my jobs, and from my teachers.
  6. College shenanigans at MSU.
You can view a copy of my basic school schedule of how busy I will be, as well as when I plan to workout during the week here.....

Day One of my goal:

After fasting for 16 hours and working out for 2 hours, my baseline weight is at 163 lbs. This makes my goal to be at 173 lbs five months from now in May.


I'll be honest with my goal, and I hope you will all be with yours as well. I welcome you all to join me on this journey, and we can even have mini competitions along the way if you wish. I'm always open to spicing things up a bit! Just let us known. So let us hear some of your goals, and we shall achieve them together as a community here at Natural Nutrition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment