Tuesday, July 30, 2013

My Story: From Fat to Fit


Written by Sam

                               
     After (Sophomore in College, 19 years old, 152 lbs)
Before (8th grade, 14 years old, 155 lbs)



























They say a picture is worth a thousand words. The two pictures above offer a glimpse of how far I've come in my journey to good health and I wanna share with you guys how I got there!

Growing up, I've always had a love for food. I could always out-eat the kids my age, and I just loved being able to pig out! I was fed a lot of the junk that most kids would eat - kraft mac and cheese, mcdonalds, chips, you name it. Also, being Chinese, our cuisine involves a lot of white rice, noodles, and greasy dishes, so you can imagine how I put on all the weight. Early on, I was just told it was baby fat and people said I was a cute kid, so I figured I didn't really need to change anything. It wasn't until playing soccer in third grade that it really hit me -- I was really overweight. I would go out on the field for 20 seconds, and I would already be tired; Everyone was faster than me, and even my coach yelled at me in the middle of the game and said I was fat. Sure, it was harsh, but it was the truth. I wanted to change, but I didn't know the principles in getting healthier aside from the basic "eat more fruits and vegetables" message my mom tried to preach. So although I tried to just eat more fruit and vegetables, it still wasn't working - the weight kept climbing, and I began to grow more and more miserable.

Fast forward to 8th grade - I became so self conscious that I couldn't even put a shirt on without fearing that I would look too fat - my confidence was shot. My dad had recently gotten a heart attack because of his bad eating habits, and thank God he was able to make a full recovery. These two things were the driving force behind my decision to have a new lifestyle. All throughout high school, I monitored my calories, went to the gym around 4 times a week, and cut down on my carbs. I was able to cut 10 pounds by senior year and it was a very proud moment for me, but the best was yet to come.

I ended up choosing to be a Dietetics major at Michigan State University because of my weight loss success, and I was hungry to learn more and see how i can further improve my habits. Taking nutrition courses really opened my eyes to a lot of the things I was still doing wrong. The tips that Tim and I have been posting on this blog are things that we have learned in our classes, and it changed my life. I could go on and on about the things I've learned, but I finally learned how to eat properly, exercise properly, and take care of my body. The end result is the picture on the right : I weighed less than i did in 8th grade and I became a lot stronger. My path to good health is something I take a lot of pride in because of the dedication and discipline it required to get to this point. Despite all the hard work, the end result is so worth it - I feel more confident, I have more energy, and I couldn't be happier with where I'm at now.

To wrap this up, I encourage you to continue reading our blog to check out the different tips and guidance that Tim and I have to offer. It completely turned my life around and if you are willing to put in the effort, you will see the results. If you are struggling with your weight and confidence like I was, I hope my story was able to give you some hope!  




No comments:

Post a Comment